Do the Ethiopian People know what’s going on in/around Ministry of Education?
Ministry of Education is the most corrupted ministerial sector in this country. Using the money obtained through loans and aids as a cover, it unnecessary interferes in the responsibilities and activities of the federal states violating their constitutional rights. Rather than distributing the money to the regional states and monitoring the use of the money, it keeps the money and has engulfed in acts of corruption.
- In 2006, it developed Afaan Oromoo textbooks (which did not concern it) for primary level. But the textbooks were not published after investing a huge amount of money because of disagreements between parties involved (obviously connected to corruption). It also produced the worst Afaan Oromoo textbooks for secondary level (I don’t know how Oromia Education Bureau accepted these textbooks that are currently in use).
- Two years ago, it developed LAGIM textbooks that totally distorted Qubee Afaan Oromoo (it changed from 33 to 57) to kill the language and Oromummaa) that were discarded by Oromia State. It is said that more than 90million USD was wasted.
c. A year ago it developed the worst English textbooks that begin teaching English alphabet with the letter “t” distorting the order of the English alphabets (I have the soft copies Grades 1 to 8 of these textbooks for evidence), but they have not been published for reasons that I am not sure about).
- Starting from January 2016 it has been engaged in the rubbish work of the so-called education roadmap that targets against Afaan Oromoo and Oromummaa. Oromos are highly offended by the hidden agenda behind this roadmap and that will not likely be realized because it violates the existing education policy and the constitutional rights of the regional states. It is said more than 49million Birr was already wasted on this evil work).
- It has killed the quality of higher institution education by preparing the so-called harmonized curriculum and forcing higher institutions to implement the identical curriculum.
- It has killed the teacher training program by preparing the failed BEd and PDGT programs and prescribing teacher training programs that are not connected to the school curriculum. The teacher training curricula and development programs for both primary and secondary prescribe identical methodology across all subject matters. However, it is a very obvious fact that the training and continuous professional development that mathematics, English, Afaan Oromoo, Geography, etc teachers need cannot be identical at all.
Does the PM office know this sector indeed?
Basic flaws of the so called education road-map
It is claimed that the document of the education roadmap was produced based on research conducted that it is better to examine it critically from the prescriptive of research principles and ethics. Full document of the education roadmap has not been shared (mysterious). However, from the 100 summary page I got informally and from the 15 minutes presentation on each theme during the orientation, it is not difficult to conclude that there were basic/fundamental flaws of the research methodology followed, drawn conclusions, recommendations made and the dissemination processes of the findings.
1 Methodological flaws
a. The study time: basic two issues
▪ Why did it start in 2016 (similar to 2002 in Oromia) – there is a trend to refer to Afaan Oromoo teaching during unrest time
▪ It is said the study started in January 2016 and continued up to 2018- unrest situation not conducive environment to gather data in Oromia and Amhara (thus likely cooked data)
- Background of the study was not explained
▪Nothing is said about previous studies that indicated the need for a a new roadmap
▪Why the study was suddenly initiated by top officials in January 2016without consulting regional states?
▪ Why the study hasty did start immediately after the initiation of the idea by the ministers from the MoE and people in the then PM office?
Note: Campaign against the use of Afaan Oromoo as a medium of instruction (quality of education failed because of the use of L1) started in April on workshops organized in Hawasa and Addis in hotels before the dissemination of the “findings” of the roadmap. WHY?
- It followed very strict top-down approach that doesn’t work at all in a country that follows the federal system.
▪Only the MoE minister and his vices, and the then PM office people took part in crafting the idea and developing its concept note.
▪Regional states were not even informed about it though they are the most responsible organs in running education system in the country.
▪ Discussions should have been made with regional states and experts concerned before finalizing the ToR that consultants should followed.
d. The study team was likely carefully and intentionally selected:
▪ Nothing was said about the calls made for possible consultants
▪ The study didn’t involve:
☞ regional states
☞ experts from different fields of specialization. .
▪ People who designed the Derg education policy (sector review) and the existing education policy involved again
▪ Responsible persons for the deterioration of the quality education in the country; for example, by designing the failed BEd program and the rubbish PGDT that is not totally linked to the school curriculum and does not prepare teachers at all in teaching different subject matters.
▪ In each study team, political influential persons were carefully selected and placed- monitoring?
▪ Those who were responsible for the deteriorating of quality of education conducted the study
- Special consultants: (the final decision makers were likely top-government officials and other consultants in writing the report (ministers and people in the then PM office)
▪Indonesia and Vietnam education systems cannot be replicated in Ethiopia. The document does not show similarities these countries have with the Ethiopian education system to begin with. We compare and contrast things, or persons, or ideas, things, or phenomenon which have similarities to begin with.
▪Nothing is said about the dropping of Germany, S. Korea and Singapore experiences
▪ Nostalgia of former education system: Malaysian or Vietnam stood best because of their education structure
- Operational definition of the roadmap is not given (what does it mean in the diversified context of Ethiopia and how it is different from the existing education policy?)
- The document:-
▪doesn’t show data sources and data generated from each regional state separately.
▪However, it is known fact that contexts of the regional states are not identical. For example, Oromia has effectively implemented L1 as a medium of instruction up to Grade 8, while others have not.
▪ Therefore, data generated from Oromia and other states obviously cannot be identical with regards to the use of L1 as a medium of instruction.
- Validation workshops were not conducted with regional states, experts, subject matter specialists concerned and data sources before producing the full document.
- It is not known why the full document is not shared with the public. Regional states, government organizations, parents, experts working in different organizations, donors, teachers, consultants, researchers and students have the right to access such a document- it should be a public document
- Orientation is given on different versions of the document (e.g., at universities and schools)
- Why the phrase “training on the roadmap” is used instead of “feedback discussion”
- There is nothing new in the document- it reflects only what people talk everywhere and widespread opinions in the country. Moreover, it appears to be a simple compilation of issues from Derg and the existing education polices.
2 Wrong references to draw conclusions
- EGRA didn’t study Amharic as L2 and the use of English as a medium of instruction starting from Grade 7
- The teaching of “high scientific skills such as technology and engineering” at Grades 7 and 8 (not realistic) for using English as a medium of instruction
3 Fallacies between main conclusions and recommendations
a. Conclusion appreciates the implementation of mother tongue; but recommendation discourages
- Conclusion states that problem-solving, cooperative learning etc, are well implemented (which is not true), but the recommendation is the opposite
4 Recommendations made without references to data sources and drawn conclusions
- The structure 6+2+4
b. Restricting the use of mother tongue up to Grade 6 (the first time in history)
Note: A person involved in data gathering told me that the informants were not asked about the teaching of Afaan Oromoo and thestructure
- Recommending only Amharic as a working language- surely data from Oromoo cannot show this
Note: It was the time when Oromoos highly voiced for the use of Afaan Oromoo as an alternative federal langue
- Starting Amharic at Grade 3: not new; for example:
☞ Was recommended in 1987/1995 but rejected by Oromia
☞ There was a similar attempt four or five years ago (even a survey was conducted) during the time of Shiferaw Shigute, but failed
☞ Recommended by a person (a historian) who presented a paper in Bahir Dar a year ago
Note: All attempts were by non-Oromos
e. Methodology recommended for teaching English:
☞ focus on oral/listening/ speaking (no language expert involved in the study)
▪ not new since the 1994
▪ does not justify why (unprofessional recommendation)
☞ but nothing is said about the teaching Amharic as L 1 and L2, and the teachings of other L1s
5 Strange recommendations
a. Discouraging the use of L1 as a medium of instruction- the first in history
- Duration of study does not guarantee language fluency (e.g., Amharas who were born and grew up among Oromoos never speak Oromoo, a person from Arsi)
- The document does not show how the three language policy is implemented (how children from Addis Ababa and Amara learn one more language and starting at which grade)
- Teachers at high schools and even at higher institutions don’t use Enough, but English is recommended starting as a medium of instruction starting from Grade 7
- Recommendations of continuous assessment and summative exams
- Recommendations ICT (for the country that lacks capacity in publishing adequate number and quality of teaching and learning materials
- Recommending PhD for high school teachers
- MoE does not run any school, but a decision maker at all levels
6 Constitutional, legal and ethical issues
a. Does not go with federalism
- Violates the existing education policy
- The recommendations are obligatory (prescriptive) : “should” is used in all the recommendations.
Yaa Lammiikoo hubadha ammas irra deebi’een isinitti hima.
- Warra isa “education roadmap” jedhu qopheesse keessa kan imaammata Dargii isa “sector review” jedhuufi imammata barnootaa isa amma hojii irra jiru qqopheessantu keessa jiru. Kanaaf, kufaatii barnoota biyya kanaaf kan silaa itti gaafatamuu qabantuu kunoo waan haara fudhannee dhufne nuun jechaa jiru. Dookumantiin “education roadmap” kan qorannoo irratti hunda’ee qophaa’ee osoo hintaane kan ilmaan abashootaa Afaan Oromoofi Oromummaa ittiin doomsuuf jedhanii haata’u jedhanii itti yaaduun barreessaniidha. Waan haaraa tokko hinqabu. Yoo carraa arganeef kana uummata keenyaaf gad-fageenyaan nihibsina ta’a.
- “Education roadmap” inni jedhamu kuna kanaan dura kana Afaan Oromoofi Oromummaa irratti agamamee lamaa wajjin kaayyoon isaa tokko. Tokkoffaa, niyaadatu yoo ta’eef bara namichi ilma abashaa m Darajjee Asfaaw Biiroo Barnoota Oromiyaa hooganaa ture Oromiyaa keessatti jeequmsa kan uumaa jiru Kitaabilee Barnoota Afaan Oromooti jechuun kitaabileen kun haala nama gadisiisuun akka boorcamuu (distorted) Ilmaan abashootaa filuun godhame. Lammaffa, waggaa sadan darbe ilmaan abashootaa kan Oromoo guddiseefi BBO keessa ilmaan abashootaa hojjechaa jiraniifi Oromoota qarshii malee Oromummaa hinbeekneen kitaabileen LAGIM qopheessan.
- Garee ja’an “education roadmap” qopheessan keessa hoogansii wayyaanee kan Yunivarsiiti Finfinnee haata’u jedhamanii haala qindaa’a ta’eef keessa naqamaniiru.
- Leenjiin “education roadmap” irratti kennamu bakka addaa addatti kennamu tokko miti. Fakkeenyaaf, Yunivarsiitii Finfinnee keessatti leenjii kennamee irratti waan barnoota afaan dhaloota kutaa ja’a irratti dhaabata jedhu tokko hinkaane. Akkan odeeffannoon qabatamaa naga’eeti, leenjiin kenname faayidaa “education roadmap” barsiisotaaf kennu kan xiyyeeffateedha.
Kunii hundi maal akka agarsiisuu isiniifan dhiisa.
Nagaan, amma qabxilee biroon walitti deebinutti!